4.08.2008

Tom Morello's solo album is AWESOME!


















I randomly found out about this while trying to figure out what the next project would be for the ex-Rage Against the Machine/Audioslave members would be. On Tom's site it said he had come out with a solo album under the pseudonym "The Nightwatchman". So I checked out some of the samples on iTunes and was impressed enough to where I decided to buy the CD the next day. This is nowhere near anything fans of Tom may be used to from his previous two bands however it is a great album nonetheless. I have it classified in my folk/country rock genre because that is just what it is. Acoustic guitar and soulful singing with wonderful lyrics and stories in the songs that are akin to Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash. In fact I was constantly reminded of the latter the entire time I listened to this the first time.

I wouldn't call this genius perhaps. The guitar is pretty simple and the melodies aren't very complex. But frankly the simplicity and energy that went into the making and recording of these songs is what makes it so great. You can tell that Tom had a great time making the album and I had a great time listening to it. Full 5 stars from me.

To read more of my album reviews go to my Rate Your Music profile.

No comments: