3.22.2008

Fast Food Mishaps

Maybe this is something you are used to as well. You go to the drive thru. You hear an unintelligible voice come through on the intercom. Not sure what has been said, you decide that you have been prompted to order. You say your order, "Steak Quesadilla and a medium Sierra Mist." You wait for a response. Soon you hear another voice which reminds you of the teacher in Charlie Brown. The tone and reflexion in the voice tells you from experience that your order is being confirmed. Now what you should say at this point is something like, "I have no clue what you just said," but instead you say something like, "yes that's correct," and you pull through. Of course at this point you have to sit behing the car in front of you who you decide must have ordered at least four bean burritos for each person they work with since there's no way one person could eat that many bags of food. You finally get your food and realize that instead of a medium Sierra Mist you've gotten some nappy potato and sour cream bowl. You decide not to make a fuss since its your fault for telling them the order was correct in the first place when you really didn't know if it was, so instead you leave and decide to make the best of your meal. You park to eat your nappy potato thing and that's when you realize you weren't given a fork or a spoon or even a napkin for heaven's sake. Your frustration at this point is such that you decide the best option would be to hurl the nappy potato thing at the door of the restaurant while screaming obscenities and displaying your manicurists talent on a certain finger as you drive away. At least you got your steak quesadilla instead of a baked case of pitas.

Well that has been my experience at a number of fast food locations. I have learned which ones to avoid depending on which area I am in be it while I'm around home, at work, or at school. One particular Wendy's near the airport was especially bad at getting my order right. Of course I usually had a special request like "no pickles" or something complicated like that. I had mix ups like getting a Coke instead of a Lemonade, getting a Cheeseburger instead of Chicken Nuggets, and getting super sized when I said small. My favorite experience at this one was when I finally decided I would make it as simple as I could by just ordering a #6 with a Coke. I was asked if I wanted any sauce and I said no. I went through the line and what do you know. EXTRA SAUCE! Sigh...

Another fun food mix at the drive thru happened to a friend of mine while I was present. We were at McDonald's and we all wanted two Double Cheeseburger's each. This particular friend always gets his with only meat cheese and ketchup which is the same as no pickles or onions. So we get to the intercom and the driver says, "6 double cheeseburgers, two without pickles or onions." The display shows our order as: 6 Double Cheeseburgers, 2 add mayo". So he says, "you got the order wrong we don't want mayo on 2, we want no pickles and onions on those two." The guy impatiently responds, "Yeah I got it, pull through." We decide to trust him and we pull through. Guess what. We get our food and sure enough we have two double cheeseburgers with mayo and no pickles and onions.

I don't know that there's really a point to this post other than to say, the drive thru can be very dangerous. Always make sure that your order is right!

No comments: